An intermediate class on digital photography comprised of 4 sessions (August 9th, 16th, 23d, & 30th). Each session will include a lesson, including a demonstration and review of each student’s images. Weekly assignments will be given. The student will not only receive instruction they will also be given a critique of their work with suggestion on areas to focus on and improve.
While the course primarily focuses on choosing and using a digital camera, some instruction will be provided on preparing and printing your images. Note that this is not a photo manipulation course.
Week 1 Critique of student images (of their choosing) by the instructor and the class (the student should bring 10 digital images, size to fit a 1024 x 768 pixel display, contact the instructor prior the class if you need assistance with the sizing). The student should focus on what they feel they do well and what they would like to improve. The critique will discuss how the student can improve on what she or he has done. This lesson includes
- Choosing a digital camera
- Camera modes, automatic versus manual
- Setting your camera
- Computer considerations file sizing, and downloading The assignment will be on properly exposing an image, plus some fun images.
Week 2 Image critique from the assignment, as in the first case focus will be on both what has been done well and what can be done to improve. This lesson includes
- Directional qualities of light, front, back and side lighting
- The quality of light, hard and soft lighting.
- Artificial versus natural light photographing with flash
- Image editing The assignment will include an exercise on soft versus hard lighting, photographing with flash, and some fun images
Week 3 Image critique from the assignment, as in the first case focus will be on both what has been done well and what can be done to improve. This lesson includes
- Image sharpness: camera and subject motion, focus, and depth of field
- Photographing people: candid and formal portraits
- Photographing landscapes
- Sharpening and image in the computer The assignment will include exercises on photographing subjects in motion, selective focus, portraits, and landscapes.
Week 4 Image critique from the assignment, as in the first case focus will be on both what has been done well and what can be done to improve. This lesson includes
- Studio setup
- Tying it all together